Thursday, June 21, 2007

Day 17 6/15/07, Sula, MT to Bannock, MT ~78 miles


We climbed to start the day and crossed the Continental Divide for the first time at Chief Joseph Pass. After the pass the downhill had a strong headwind, so we didn't quite fly down as we had hoped. On the other side of the pass we were in Big Hole Valley, which is also known as the land of 10,000 Haystacks. At first I thought it said Mistakes, but on closer look it was haystacks, and it's grazing country and there are quite a few haystacks. At least 7,000 but I'm sure they rounded up.
They day was, "OK" as the barn roof said, it was sunny but a lot of wind and by the end of it I was exhausted and ready for bed.

In Wisdom, MT I saw a drill rig, but they told me they were drilling for oil when I asked. I said that's not an oil rig and then they told me it was a well, so we finally got that straightened out.

We had to climb up Big Hole pass to end the day and on the downside I blew a flat, not too bad for my first flat on the trip. Luckily it was only a soft flat on my rear wheel because we were flying down that hill at 30mph.

No comments: