Thursday, June 21, 2007

Day 23 (6/21/07), Moran Junction to DuBois, WY ~48 miles

Today was a shorter day of riding, but the 21 mile climb up the second highest pass of the whole route, and the highest by far called for a shorter day. We climbed the first half of the day up Togawtee Pass elevation 9,658 feet!

It was a slow grind up, and I expected to fly down to DuBois, unfortunately the construction crew that had chopped up the pavement of 14 miles on the descent didn't have the same ideas. The ride down through gravel was slow and scary, especially when inconsiderate cars tried to force us in to large piles of gravel on the edge of the "road". They drove us over about 2-3 miles of the construction that was one lane and they were doing that for all cyclists. Over the pass we entered "Butte" country and then closer to DuBois it even looked a little bit like the soutwest.



There was another Jackalope at a gas station. It was a half day of riding mostly, but the 90 degree temps here in DuBois and a decision to just take a rest day has me here in the DuBois library updating my blog. Sorry for the lack of details but I was kicked off the computer a couple times by the librarian. We haven't had much cell phone reception or internet so I will try to keep updating as much as possible-even if it is more than a week in between! Hope everyone is doing well and having a good summer. I appreciate all of your comments so keep them up!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Kelley! I like my postcard and even though I was 90% sure Jackalopes aren't real, I googled them anyway- haha! I think you've put way more miles on your bike in the last few weeks than I've put on my car. That's crazy... Keep up the blog and the gorgeous pictures.