Thursday, August 2, 2007

Day 49, 7/17/07, Booneville, KY to Pippa Passes, KY, 63.3 miles

MEAN DOGS! That's the first thing that I can say about this ride. I thought for sure I'd be torn into kibbles and bits by the end of the day! There were a couple of steep climbs between Booneville and Buckhorn and one group of mean dogs that even attacked the RV. People seem to have dogs in this area as protection. Buckhorn, KY to Chavies was three long and steep climbs. After Chavies the traffic was HORRIBLE, imagine riding on a shoulder that was either non-existent or had lots of gravel and rumble strips in it with coal trucks and cars whipping by at 60 mph! That was right outside Hazard, KY which may be where the Dukes of Hazard are from-any history majors out there?? I almost crashed because my wheel got stuck in between two pieces of concrete while I was leaning, but luckily I unclipped at the last second. We didn't have a campground for this night, but we found a Methodist church that allowed us to park in their parking lot. In addition, they let us take showers and fed us dinner! They were really friendly and nice.

No comments: