Thursday, August 2, 2007

Day 52, 7/20/07, Rosedale, VA to Rural Retreat, VA, 81.3 miles

Today's ride was very very tough, it was possibly the hardest ride so far for me. We had over 5280 feet of climbing. It started out overcast and misty and then started raining. We had had very good weather so far, so I'm not really complaining about that, but it seems when we have rainy weather it's always on 80+ miles days. We had several steep climbs and on the first we passed by fields of cows, which is normal, but as we rode by one particular cow gave a sound like a cough or even a crow. It was by far the weirdest sound I'd ever heard out of a cow before! We stopped for lunch after 48 miles and I was cold, so I changed into warmer and more waterproof clothing, and wouldn't you know it after 5 miles the sun came out and I was sweating like crazy and starting to overheat. As we neared our destination we approached a crazy intersection, Skip saw a car coming and braked really fast and I didn't have time to react, so I hit my breaks but ended up hitting his rear tire. I crashed, he had apparently stopped so luckily I didn't knock him over. It was my first crash of the trip and really on a bike since i was like 12. It hurt, but it really wasn't that bad, I was more startled than anything. I had my share of bruises and stiffness, but not too many scrapes and my bike survived pretty well. There were some really nice people who saw and came to see if I was "okay". We had to ride 6 more miles to Rural Retreat, and I thought my arm was going to fall off it hurt bad to put weight on it, but we made it after what seemed like the slowest 6 miles ever. To make myself feel better I bought a bunch of little debbie snacks and candy, they wanted me to buy ice, but I decided gaining 5 pounds would make me feel better than ice.

No comments: